The Life of a Stylist - Ezekiel Akinnewu

By Unknown - 9:01 PM

Have you ever seen a photograph somewhere and just say 'Damn! This is amazing!' Well, that was exactly my thought when I saw this picture of stylist, Ezekiel, from the Vintage Yard UK. I got the chance to interview him and I'm super duper happy about that! But before I show you the interview, I first want to introduce you to 
Vintage Yard
"We are a collective of vintage fashion lovers that decided to create a diverse platform in which fellow Fashion enthuasiast can come , purchase and share their passion for all things vintage. Through illustrious visual presentations, feedback and personal blogs our website will give you as users a clever, witty and diverse platform that you can visit, buy, and give us feedback all at once.We hope that you enjoy your visit to Vintage Yard and embark on this journey with us to developing this website to further heights."
"Their goal is to:
  • We provide quality clothes at affordable prices. 
  • Customers get a very interactive experience whilst shopping on our website.
  • Ordered goods get delivered with personalised gifts which can be chosen by the buyer.
  • We sell irreplicable products."

In other words:

"Interactivity... Versatility... Productivity"

Taken from Vintage Yard

Without further ado, let's drown in awesomeness and hear Ezekiel's thoughts when it comes to fashion, styling, and tips and tricks for aspiring stylists. Meet...

Ezekiel Akinnewu 
(CEO, Stylist, Art Director of Vintage Yard UK)

. Hi Ezekiel, thank you for letting me interview you! I absolutely love your concept and the styling that you do, as an aspiring stylist myself, I think I saw one of my inspirations
and that's you guys, please tell us how Vintage yard formed this idea and continued it?
Hi Quinn, Thank you so much for this opportunity. I have always loved fashion and Vintage Fashion was the kind of fashion I loved the most. But I realised that fellow Vintage Fashion lovers and myself had to go through extreme processes, travels and orders to get the clothing/apparel they require. So I decided to open an online vintage fashion store that promotes and helps Vintage Shopping. And this is where the idea of vintage yard came from.

2. Could you tell us about your team and your story of how you guys met?
My team consists of a lot of people. My partner and Co founder - Nicolle, Our Model Scout Hay, Our Admin Manager - Steph, Our Social Admin Manager Ella and Our photographer Danny Smith. Please note there are many more members of the team that cant all be named.

3. Where does the artistic inspiration come from? How is it when you are styling different people, like how would you know that they would love a specific item you picked for them?
My artistic inspiration comes a lot from my environment. When I style different people I treat each client very uniquely. Unlike most stylist I don't just pick clothes for my clients, they book a day with me where we go out together and select the appropriate type of clothing they might require (be it for an occasion or just a general wardrobe change). I take into consideration everything my clients want, for example; what look they want to portray, their personalities, events etc.

4. Is there a specific trend that you follow or everything is based on something?
I follow my trend and I like to call it "Advanced Vintage." Because what I do is take vintage clothes and make them modern. I would say following a trend or trends can be too complicated as trends tend to change. But when YOU ARE "THE" TREND... that's another matter ;)
5. One of my fashion rules when dressing up is to always have colors and just be different. How would you describe your own 'rule' when it comes to styling?
My one rule is : NEVER BE SCARED TO TRY.

6. A shopping must for me is that I should always invest on things that are different and unique, what's your shopping must?
A pair of Black Skinny Jeans, Some DR Martens, Customised T shirts and bucket hats.

7. What made you want to be a Fashion Stylist?
To be honest nothing made me want to become a fashion stylist. I just realised people termed me to be that cause I always styled my mates and got asked for fashion advise all the time so it happened naturally. I found myself amongst legendary fashion icons by just being myself. So I don't see it as a skill I have, I see it as a God given talent.

8. Is there any place and personality that you'd love to shoot in and style in the future? 
I would love to shoot in China, Hong Kong & Dubai.

9. What type of environment do you look forward to everytime you're in a shoot? 
A happy one where none of the models think they are the best thing since sliced bread :) , where everyone gets along like a family. That's how it has been so far anyways.

10. There are always fashion lovers who think that their bodies are not as good as those stick figure model walking the runways, what are your advice for them and what do you think they 
should wear to make them feel confident?
They need to understand that being a model or looking good isn't always about your body, its all about wearing what fits. Everyone has a look, you just need to find yours. If you are wearing clothes and you feel uncomfortable in them then that look clearly isnt for you. Fashion should make you feel good no matter what size you are.

11. How do you guys prepare for your shoots? How do you grasp the vibe of your photoshoots?
A lot of things are taken into consideration such as: weather, the clothes that we want to shoot, lighting, the models etc. So much stuff is taken into consideration.

12. Is this job really as amazing and glamorous as people would envision it?
It is when you do it right, but this doesn't mean it doesn't have its downsides, every job in life does but at the end of the day in this industry you've got to be hard working in order to be at that top 10% of fashion stylist.

13. What are some of the best things you've learned through styling?
Anything can be worn if matched up with the right look.

14. Does your experiences as a stylist also affected your own style?
Definitely, I feel like as a stylist I have to portray good style cause people look up to me for advice in style. I'll give you an example; when new drivers want to learn how to drive they tend to go to the driving schools that have a high pass rate, and that's how I see things. You've gotta portray a good fashion image.

15. What are some of your plans in the future as a stylist?
To make my company VINTAGE YARD grow, to work with more famous people and possibly a merger or acquisition of a bigger VINTAGE fashion company.

16. What are your tips for people wanting to do fashion styling?
Its very competitive out here, Build your clientèle as soon as possible and be different.
...
I'm wowed by Vintage Yard, and was super impressed by their CEO Ezekiel! It's one thing to like a picture and the styling of the stylist, but it's another thing when you look up to them... I realized that I also got inspired by his competitiveness and confidence. He's really someone in the fashion industry to watch out for.
...
Loved this article? Don't forget to follow Vintage Yard on their:

Website: Vintage Yard
Facebook: Vintage Yard
Instagram: @VintageYardUK
Twitter: @VintageYardUK
Youtube: Vintage Yard UK

And of course, don't forget to follow their awesome CEO, Stylist, and Art Director, Ezekiel through his:

Instagram: @ezekixl
Twitter: @ezekixl

Well that was one amazing interview, my first actually! There's more to come so tune in always!

*Thank you so much for Ezekiel Akinnewu for letting me interview him and getting a glimpse of the industry he's in, especially for sharing Vintage Yard to my readers.
P.S. His answer for #4 is my fave.

Long Live the Quinn will be your #1 supporter! Continue drowning us with all your pure awesomeness.

Xo,
Quinn

Long Live!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Looking through their women's section totally made me feel like I was looking at characters in the movie Clueless! It's always nice to see companies embrace different eras in fashion. Most of my wardrobe is cherry picked out of 50s and 60s styling and I remember when even that was nearly impossible.

    ReplyDelete