The Life of a Fashion Journalist - Lucia Binding

By Unknown - 9:12 PM

FASHION JOURNALISM is not as easy as it seems. All the long hours reading and writing and more reading and writing can be tedious, but if you're in love with what you do like Fashion Journalist, Lucia Binding then I believe you'll be staying in that industry for a long time. 

I'm back with another interview to give you the details on what it's like to work in the fashion industry. For today's interview it's all about Fashion Journalism and how it is when you're out there in the real world.

Let's hear Lucia's story and how her job has affected her life.

Lucia Binding
(Fashion and Showbiz Journalist, Senior Editor at Go City Girl)

1. Hi Lucia, thank you for letting me interview you. I'm really curious as to how Fashion Journalism works, can you fill us in with the details?

-Thank you, it feels weird. I’m usually the nosy bugger asking the awkward questions. I’m curious too, you tell me? From my experience, keeping up with the latest trends, up and coming designers and having a good knowledge of fashion is just a bonus. It works like any other realm of journalism – you need to wing it with in-depth research, a sharp eye for scoops and great ideas. Oh, and being able to write always helps. I’ve encountered a few too many aspiring fashion journos who could tell you the ins and outs of Oscar de la Renta’s 1994 autumn/winter collection without being able to write a grammatically correct sentence.

2. How is it working in the showbiz industry and the fashion industry as a journalist? What were the challenges that you had to go through?

- I got my first break in journalism as a showbiz reporter after doing an internship during my Masters, and it was a lot of fun. The fashion world is a lot more serious, with a lot of flinty-faced ersatz people inhabiting it – but a lot of amazingly talented people too. And yes, I’ve endured a few challenges. Writing witty copy, editing pictures (I’m tech-challenged) and uploading onto a semi-dodgy CMS system within a 45 minute time frame can be pretty daunting. Other challenges I’ve faced have been my initial lack of fashion knowledge and getting over my shyness to interview famous strangers. Now it’s like second nature. Maybe after a whiskey if they’re really famous.



3. How does Go City Girl affect or hone your journalism skills?

- I use practically all of my journalism skills I acquired during my training, and have had to learn a few more tricks in the real world. Writing long features and reviews in different niches such as theatre and food has been interesting, mainly because I get to insert adjectives and opinions! I often take my friends to restaurant reviews as a thank you for putting up with me. Aside from that, I’m expected to write humorous and snappy news copy at GO City Girl which took some getting used to. I spend half of my day thinking about puns and wordplay like a struggling medieval playwright.

4. A lot of people might ask, how did you break into the fashion industry, how would you respond to this?

-The truth is, I didn’t break into fashion journalism – I fell into it. It was more like a belly flop, actually. After a few months of working as a showbiz reporter, my then-editor thought I had a flair for fashion writing, and I was made Fashion Editor. I had absolutely no intention of being a fashion journalist. I didn’t grow up with the latest issue of Vogue stuck to my forehead – I was more into The Twits and Rip Van Winkle – hence why I did English Literature at university. I wanted to be a political sketch writer like Quentin Letts and obliterate MPs with my acerbic tongue!



5. What are the things you love most about your job?

-The best thing about my job is that I’m being paid to do something I love, which is writing. Hopefully I’ll get to write lots of novels in my sixties in a seaside cottage with a pack of Pomeranians for company. I also love fashion; reporting on shows, interviewing, press trips and the free stuff. Oops, I said it. But above all, meeting some incredible people who I wouldn’t have crossed paths with down the pub.

6. Is your job as glamorous as people think it is? 

-No. People presume that all I do is party but I’m forced to use my brain for at least nine hours of the day, unfortunately. It’s a lot of hard work and my social media only shows the good times. I experience the vicissitudes of work life just like everyone else.



7. Based on your experience, what are the values that you need to have in order to stay in this job/industry?

-Values? My main motto is to work hard and play hard. And to resist that third glass of cheap Prosecco. The only way I can cope is to make sure I have a gregarious life outside the office. I also love visiting my family in Wales – I work so much more efficiently after spending the weekend devouring my mother’s homemade grub. Making sure I see my family and friends is really important to me – although my work/social life can often coalesce.

8. Being a fashion journalist means that you have to deal with a lot of people and having to go through the fast-paced life of ever-changing trends, how do cope with this?

-A lot of coffee. I meet loads of people on a weekly basis, and I’m not always in the best of moods. Luckily I have a fair amount of friends in the circuit, and wouldn’t attend so many parties if it weren’t an excuse to see them. The fashion industry thrives on ephemeral trends, which is why I tend to eschew disposable fashion and try to invest in timeless pieces. I just need to get over my obsession with culottes and Adidas Originals. Fashion is all about the future, so we have to evolve with the times, however much you might despise joggers and socks with sandals. No one’s forcing you to wear them.



9. Who are the people that had an impact in your career?

- I really wish I’d had a mentor in journalism, but I’ve had to go about things the long way. Probably my journalism tutors for the basics, former editors for seeing something in me and most of all my incredibly supportive parents, who literally read everything I write and have helped me in every way possible. My dad took me to Shakespeare plays when I was still in nappies and made me fall in love with language and words. We’re both logophiles – we text each other obscure words and their definitions almost every day. It’s pretty weird.

10. Lastly, What is your advice for young and aspiring fashion journalists?

-Without being didactic, my main advice would be to not go into it just because you like fashion. It should happen organically, and if you don’t have a massive passion for reading and writing – don’t do it. Even I have days where I’d rather shave my eyeballs than write another sentence. Also, read the news 24/7. I read The Metro on the way to work, online news websites during the day and The Evening Standard on the way home. BBC News 24 is always on in the background when I’m cooking and I read Vogue before bed. Get a solid degree, do LOADS of internships and develop a sense of style and a blog. I’ve still got a long way to go, but it’s exciting once you’ve built a foundation.

...

Well, it seemed that Lucia has summed up her career as a Fashion Journalist. Take note on her advice since it can take you to places it's straightforward and vocal so you better listen to her. Many years of working in the industry must've made Lucia determined and very vocal about her opinions, and that's what I admire about her so much! 

*Interviewing people made me realize that it was a great move in realizing what I want to do in life. So far, I've interviewed a fashion stylist and a fashion journalist. And I've learned so much from both. I look forward to the next one. 

Love to be a Fashion Journalist in the future? Then you should follow Lucia to get more knowledge on what she does:

Twitter: @LuciaBinding
@GoCityGirl
Website: Go City Girl

Til my next interview!

Xo,
Quinn
Long Live!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments